Friday, June 29, 2012

Kid's Craft ~ Look at the pretty bird

I live with my niece and nephew and they are energetic kids! Sometimes before bed they have a hard time settling down {as I would imagine most kids do} so I thought it might be a good idea to have them do a craft to get their minds and bodies to calm down before bed. I generally make a template of what I am shooting for and let them go crazy from there! This probably comes from my years working in a daycare center and planning crafts and lessons for the kids.

I made a template last night for a bird craft that I am going to have them do tonight before bed. I got this idea from one of those packages of crafts at JoAnn's and thought I wanted it to be a little different from the example and I could probably do it for cheaper! The package was at least $5 and was only for one bird. So it was going to cost me at least $10 to make with Madison and Ryan.


I started out by making a template on regular paper so it was easier to trace and cut out on the foam.
I bought this foam piece from JoAnn's for a couple dollars and it was big enough to make 3 birds

Trace the template as many times as will fit on the foam. It was convenient that the birds fit together so well to save some space!
Then cut them out. Pretty self-explanatory!
Mark where you want the wing to start on the body and poke a hole with scissors.

Take a piece of tissue paper, cut out a small piece and crinkle to your desired look and push the end through the hole. There will be enough tissue paper on the backside of the foam that it should stay, but if you want you could put a piece of tape over the end to hold it in place

Here is my final result! I think he's pretty cute! He could use some more color or decoration, but I will leave that up to the little ones to do!
Do you have bored kids at home this summer and need some craft ideas? Stay tuned and I will try to update you on things that I try with the little ones in our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment