Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Got extra fabric you don't know what to do with?

If you are at all like me, you have random bits of fabric laying around the house that you aren't sure what to do with. I always have these grand ideas about craft projects that I want to do, but somehow, for one reason or another, they go undone many times. I'm usually too busy to get things done right away and then I get distracted. {Doing this blog has really helped me become better at that!}

So I had some scraps of pretty silky fabric that I was planning on making into a scarf or something, but I never got around to it. I also have an abundance of silver, antique looking frames that I collect and then I'm not sure what to do with! I saw this idea on some other blog or something and I was inspired! It's a pretty simple project. It took me about 5 minutes!

Here are the supplies I used:


I love this kind of frame. I probably have at least 5 like this! Sometimes I think I may use them as table numbers when I get married, but that's a long ways down the road, so we'll see when the time comes!

I fell in love with this fabric when I saw it at JoAnn's!! I love the vibrant colors on the dark background. I am a big fan of deep, rich, saturated color. Pastels just don't cut it like a deep gem tone does!

Double sided tape is great for this project because it's not permanent but will hold up well.


Here is how I put it together:

I took the glass out of the frame and used it as a template to cut a good size for the frame. I left about a half an inch extra fabric so you don't see the frayed edges in the frame.
This is what I did with the extra half an inch. I used the cardboard that was already in the frame and just wrapped the fabric around it to make a cleaner look in the glass.


And the final product!!!

I think this is to die for!! I didn't plan what section of the fabric would show in the frame, but it turned out perfectly!! I love the big blue flower in the bottom corner and that it is off-set by the smaller pink and green flowers around it!

This will be going in my new room somewhere for sure!!

Do you have leftover fabric and a picture frame that is lacking color and inspiration laying around your house? This is an easy and cheap way to dress it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment