Friday, June 22, 2012

The ugly and unlovable in design

My mom makes fun of me because she says I am a lover of the ugly and unlovable things in life! This mainly applies to used furniture and other home decor and sometimes plants, but doesn't extend much beyond that! When I see a discarded plate or coffee mug in my local Salvation Army, I'm always going to want to take it home with me. I recently spotted a mustard yellow armchair a few weeks ago from across the Salvation Army and knew it would be coming to live with me! I buy old kitchen chairs that don't match anything, sand them down and paint them up to look beautiful again. I do the same with shutters or desks or any other random thing that happens to catch my eye! Whenever I come home with something new my family just rolls their eyes and says "Oh Ashley, that is so you!" I'm not sure if I should take offense to that or not!!

Here are a few examples of my love of ugly and unlovable things:

I already have another chair that I stripped and repainted last summer. I am starting a little collection!

I spotted this and it was love at first sight! And when I sat in it I knew for sure!
An old mailbox for my mail so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle!

I bought these for $10 (total) at a community garage sale not long ago! It was like a jigsaw puzzle getting them to fit in my mom's tiny car, but my determination paid off!

No comments:

Post a Comment