Monday, April 9, 2012

fabulous headboard

Headboard frame {Thank you daddy for helping with the sawing and drilling!}

Next step: Frame with plywood for extra support

Next: 1x3 boards. I laid them in an uneven pattern so they wouldn't look so perfect

View from above

Then I went to work beating it up to make it look more worn and aged. {This was a great way to relieve stress!}

Lightly stained the wood to make it even more aged

Close up of stained boards {Complete with glass ring!}


I really liked the idea of making a headboard on my own. It is cheaper and easier to make it my own, both of which appealed to me! I don't like the big box store furniture and decorations. I much prefer things that have a story or have lived a life already and it is evident. Lucky for me, my dad is pretty handy with a saw and power tools, so he helped me build it so I could decorate it. I knew I didn't want it to look fresh and clean, so we found some wood that wasn't exactly perfect and could easily be made to look older.

After it was assembled, I had maybe a little too much fun beating it up. I predominantly used a small hammer, mostly the claw part, to make dings and dents in the wood. I also used sand paper to rough it up a bit. {I also made sure to sand down the edges so there weren't any splinters on the exposed edges.}

I used 2 different kinds of stain, pecan and cherry. The pecan was a little too light for my liking, so I went over parts with the cherry as well, making sure to get stain down into the dents and dings and scuffs for added effect.

The end result was great! I may still add a little splattered paint or possibly a stencil to it, but I am not sure yet!

My lesson learned was: I made a quality headboard that is my style for $60 and got to spend time with my dad! {Similar headboards sell for over $100} I call that an all around win!

No comments:

Post a Comment