Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chalkboard painted coffee table

Knowing my love of DIY projects, a coworker gave me an old coffee table that she didn't want anymore. I was pretty sure it could be fabulous with the right touch! I wanted something neutral that could go with my olive/hunter green couch and beige walls in my basement living room. I also wanted something kind of fun that the kids could enjoy as well.
I found myself standing in the spray paint aisle at Home Depot for a long time staring at the wall of colors in front of me. There weren't any "OMG! I have to have that color" moments. I ended up giving up and going with white. But the chalkboard paint caught my eye and then it was a magical moment!

I started out my sanding it down a bit. The top was pretty scratched up, so that got the most attention, but after that I just did a light scuffing to make the spray paint adhere better. Here are a few pictures to help you visualize what I'm talking about:


The top was pretty scratched up

My dad insisted I wear a mask, even though 2 huge garage doors were open to ventilate the barn. he didn't want me getting high. Always a good idea to be safe!

I love the lines of this coffee table!

Not too sure why my dad had this contraption in his barn, but it came in handy for this project!

The square on top that is still wood will be chalkboard paint next. Just waiting for the white to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment