Wednesday, May 23, 2012

DIY vintage shutters and kitchen chair

My parents will never understand my love of all things old and battered looking! But it is a great way to bring things to life again and flex your creative muscle!




I didn't expect these to be quite this tall, but I was pleasantly surprised! One is clearly more battered than the other, and it looks like the other was either battered by bird poo or white paint... I really hope it was paint!!


As you have probably guessed by now, I love a project! I love taking old things that no one loves anymore and making them beautiful again. New things are nice, but I prefer things with history. I know this is cheesey but I love things that come with stories of lives they have already lived! Plus, with old things you can make them your own. You can strip them down, sand them down, and make them fit with whatever style or theme you have going on in your space!

These are a few examples of my recent finds that need some love and attention before they turn into pieces of beauty again. I am a little stuck with what to do with them. I have started a collection of wooden kitchen chairs. The first one I bought last summer I sanded down and painted a sunshine yellow color. I am not sure what color this new addition wants to be. I was thinking maybe a navy blue, but yellow and blue are the colors of the University of Michigan and I don't want to get involved in the UofM vs. MSU rivalry! But if I kept them in different areas of the house no one would notice, right? Do you have any ideas? I am open to suggestions!



I started by scraping off the cracking and flaking paint from the entire chair. It was pretty effective actually! The seat needed the most attention with the puddy knife, but the back and legs were chipping pretty badly too.



It was such a beautiful day outside I had to take advantage of it!



Somehow I always end up with yellow chairs. The first chair I purchased and refinished was yellow to begin with as well! There was also some aqua colored paint under the yellow. It's always interesting to see what colors these chairs were in their past lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment